Sunday, March 13, 2005

This is long but worth reading

I realize it has been a while, but I have been super busy. I started at Wiregrass Hospice this week. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were spent in the Dothan office for orientation. It was fun I stayed with my mom and my little bro Michael. I was excited when Sandra (supervisor) told me I could come back to Montgomery Thursday and Friday. I remember why I was so ready to leave home.

I rode with the Chaplain on Thursday, we went to several houses and then a funeral and finally a few nursing homes. It was in the nursing home where I almost lost it, this sweet couple who have been married over 70 years are both on Hospice. The woman is in worse shape than her husband, and he was telling us how she woke up depressed that morning. He went on to say she was sad about not being able to enjoy their home and see all the memories in the home. He then told us about praying with her and talking and deciding that God has a reason for them being here. About that time I looked up and there was a tear dropping from the tip of this sweet man’s face onto his wife’s bed. I was so overcome at that moment.

How wonderful it is to have someone to spend your entire life with. This couple can remember playing marbles together when they were just children. On the flip side how painful it must be to watch your spouse die. I have a strong faith in God just as these two, and I pray I will know those joys and pains one day.

The great thing about Hospice is most of the patients know what is happening to them and accept it. Our goal is to allow them to have the fullest life possible for whatever time they have left. I think I am going to love my job I know these first few weeks are going to be emotionally taxing on me, so if I could ask my friends just to call me and see how I am doing it would mean a lot to me.

Friday I rode with a nurse, we left the office about 9:45 had a 15 min lunch around 3, returned to the office about 5 and she still had to visit one more patient and deliver blood to the lab. This is a typical day for the nurses fortunately I got to go home at 5 because the other two stops were on her way home. All in all it was a good day, most of the patients I have seen have been older, but Wiregrass Hospice serves all age ranges.

No comments: